viedo cards

Roger plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:16:18 -0700

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 22:05, you wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:02:15PM -0700, Jonathan Claxton wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, i wrote:
> > > I need to replace a couple of video cards.
> > > What cards are considered pretty dececent and what is the price range?.
> > > Useable in both the LInux world,specifically Mandrake 8 , and also by
> > > M$ boxes.
> > > And also, are there any good reasonably priced flat screen monitors? If
> > > not, what would be a decent quality Monitor run?
> > >
> > > I likely would look around at Fry's Electronics but somewhere else
> > > would be fine also.
> > > I would appreciate advice on updating this stuff.
>
> What kind of job are you expecting those video cards to do? Primarily 2D
> stuff (simple window drawing, etc) or 3D accelleration (Doom, Quake, etc.)?
>
> I managed to get a good 17" Futura monitor from Fry's Electronics (out on
> Thunderbird and I-17) for about $450 a while back.

I stopped by Fry's Electronics and picked up a 15" NEC flatscreen and an
ArcadeFX TNT2, that has a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2  chipset. Everything installed
nice and works just fine. I looked at the next generation of NVIDIA chipset
but the computers I have are not the latest and greatest and besides, we do
very little game stuff. I think the tnt2 will do just  fine.