linux learning

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
04 Sep 2001 15:52:48 -0700

One thing I have found to really help in learning is to read through
some of the standards.  I would suggest the linux file system standard
(LFS) and the Linux standards base (LSB).

These help you to understand why things are in the places that they are
and how things should be done on a system.  the LSB does start to get
a little advanced into system librarys and such but does start of really
good.

I have been through a lot of 3am working by 8am crash courses (especialy
the past 2 weeks) and they really are where you learn the most "real"
stuff.  All the classes in the world will never get you the education
that real experince will give.

Aside from this O'reilly College has been my main college, also if you
want you can try the HTC (How-to technical college).  Pick some things
that you would like learn and do them.

Just some of my thoughts on this.

Bill Warner

On 04 Sep 2001 09:13:17 -0700, Charlie Bullen wrote:
> Hello, I need to systematically learn linux. I know enough to be dangerous
> now.  What if any certification course gives the best overall linux
> education.  The primary objective is learning. If it leads to a
> certification, so much the better but learning is the key.
>
> I prefer to work on my own but am not totaly against going to a school.
>
> I currently administer 2 apache web servers and 1 server for sendmail and
> file sharing with samba. All my learning to date has been of the 3AM need to
> have it working by 8am panic variety, so I know a little of this, a little of
> that but no overall systematic view.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charlie
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.