linux learning

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:40:36 -0700 (MST)

If you aren't allready doing it now, the fastest way that I found for
learning linux is to just decide that it's your main machine.  I just put
linux on my fastest machines one day and then put the windows machines
unhooked up across the room so I wouldn't have any temptations to try and
do it with the applications that I was used to. When you've done that, you
will run into all sorts of things while trying to get your linux box to do
everything that your windows box used to do. The bright side of all of
this is as of recently, at least for me, there really isn't anything
software wise that windows has that linux doesn't now. This is especially
true now that there is the, use windows plugins with linux plugin. The
only thing that I am really missing is a really good DVD player, but since
I have seen a good lpayer without the menu support and that bad player
with it, it's only a matter of a couple of months till someone merges the
2 applications best parts, then I won't have any complaints.

If you are allready running linux full time, you could always hit the unix
admin classes at the community colleges.  They are much slower than a cert
class, but they are also about 1/60ith the cost.  Plus you will probably
have an easier time actually learning stuff at a slower pace than haveing
a dumptruck worth of information dumped on you all at once.

Brian Cluff