Linux PPC

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:01:09 -0700

sm wrote:

> > Make sure that it is a Power PC box with a PCI bus. The oldest
> > PowerPC's, 6100,7100 and 8100 will not run a Linux kernel.
> >
> > I have run Yellow Dog on 7200, 7600 and 8600 with good results. When in
> > any doubt, consult the distribution's website to make sure that your
> > model is supported.
> >
> > None of the 'Nubus' Macs will work. ;-(
> >

> Not exactly true.. the exceedingly ancient MkLinux kernel, which is Linux
> ported to the mach kernel, will work on some NuBus macs.

True, but a Mach kernel is not a Linux kernel. I looked into running
this on a 7100 that I had but it just didn't seem worth the effort.

--
Kevin O'Connor

 "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun,
such as
 programming, after spending the necessary ten hours a week on required
tasks
 such as legislation, family counseling, robot repair and asteroid
prospecting.
 There will be no need to be able to make a living from programming."
 The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.