RH72 driving my freaking nuts

Digital Wokan plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:26:49 -0700

Craig White wrote:
> Digital Wokan wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> > > Awful easy to install perl-ssleay - isn't it available via cpan?
> > > ProFTP just isn't on the map on Redhat - they supply WUFTPD. I can't
> > > believe that it is all that difficult to install but I haven't done it.
> > > Thankfully, none of the distro's are perfect because that would
> > > eliminate all the other distro's and it's the competition and various
> > > philosophies that spurs each one to continually improve.
> > > Craig
> > Not saying I don't like or appreciate Red Hat.  I can understand
> > including just one ftp server (and was ready to just sit down and deal
> > with it).  But not to include Webmin (which I'd swear was in 7.1) seems
> > nuts.  SSL-enabled Webmin is like having most of the power of pcAnywhere
> > for Windows, but without the overhead of having to wait on graphical
> > updates over the wire.
> I would agree about webmin
> Caldera funded development - they have always included it. I don't know
> that any other distro included it.
> To install SSLeay on webmin - download the tarball, untar it. cd into
> Net_SSLeay.pm-1.05 and ./Makefile.PL (don't run test - it's broken now)
> - supply "/usr" when it can't find where the basic perl binary is
> located, then make & make install.
> The Net_SSLeay is old and development on it has long since ceased.
> Craig

Mandrake includes it, SSL enabled and all.  I'd still swear Red Hat had
it for 7.1, even if it was a contrib.  I'm tired of mucking around in
RH's configuration trying to get things started.  I installed Mandrake
8.1 on the system and I've already run the .asp pages through asp2php
(with much tweaking to be done after I have a database to test against),
and I'm halfway through recreating the MSSQL database structure under
PGSQL.
When it comes time to get the rep laptops with Linux, I'll see if any
come with Mandrake pre-installed or at least guaranteed to work.  Looks
like MdkSoft is going to get this set of support contracts.