Cox now insists on DHCP protocol

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:36:13 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth tim cutler on 10/25/2001 22:44 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Like most linux users on Cox@home, I have a static IP address. Now,
\_ Cox@home has sent me email and tells me that they have "identified" my
\_ computer as having a static address and not using DHCP protocol. They
\_ are now insisting on my computer to adopt the DHCP protocol.
\_
\_ I never managed to get DHCP protocol to work on my linux and wound up
\_ using a static IP address (as was recommended here, thanks) to good effect.
\_
\_ I've tried the linux netcfg GUI, selecting "DHCP" for the protocol. As
\_ soon as I do that, I'm off the network.
\_
\_ So, my trial and error begins again. I'm looking for any breadcrumb
\_ clues to speed this unpleasant process up. I prefer NOT to use the f!@**
\_ netcfg GUI (I hate that GUI; unless it works EVERY time it should always
\_ tell you what files it's "fixing"). I would rather get pointed to any
\_ /etc/ files that matter.
\_
\_ I have RedHat 7.1.  I don't get why this is so hard for linux.

You need to hit the man page for dhcpcd/pump and/or scan

/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0  (or -eth1, depending)

The key is to add

"DHCP_HOSTNAME=CX999999-Z"

into the icfg-ethX file.

I recently got this same piece of email from @home and adding the
DHCP_HOSTNAME line fixed it so that it was dhcp'd properly.  Then I
went and read the man page on how to use non @home nameservers  :-)

I hope it makes them happy...my IP hasn't changed.  :-)

FWIW, they claimed there was "work going on in my neighborhood"; I'm
curious if they spammed all of cox@home, or just the fortunate few in
the Mesa area.

David