Cox now insists on DHCP protocol

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:25:00 -0700

> Like most linux users on Cox@home, I have a static IP address. Now,
> Cox@home has sent me email and tells me that they have "identified" my
> computer as having a static address and not using DHCP protocol. They
> are now insisting on my computer to adopt the DHCP protocol.

They haven't come after me yet, probably because I spend a lot of my
time
running Win98 and DHCP.  When I boot over to Linux, I'm running static.

Are you using your Cox "CX number" as the computer name, and @home as
the workgroup?  Not doing this made my DHCP on Windows inoperative.

When I was working that problem, I asked the (very helpful!) support guy
about the DHCP decree.  I think what he said was along this line:  they
had to do that because their provider (Excite?) charges extra for static
IP, and was giving them some grief.

Vic