Match distro and desktop?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:11:41 -0700

Alan Dayley wrote:

> RedHat has 7.2 out.  I just burned the CDs.  In the release email I got, they
> tout Gnome and Nautalus but there is no mention of KDE.  I know KDE is in
> there but they are obviously pushing Gnome.
>
> SuSE is very KDE "centered."  I assume other distros may be "centered" on
> some other window manager/desktop environment.
>
> Question: Is it better/more reliable/more supported to run the
> distro-preferred desktop or does it not really matter?
>
> To ask it another way: Is it true that, for example, if I really like KDE, I
> should use SuSE because SuSE will be "better" integrated with KDE and,
> conversely, if I really like RedHat I should use Gnome since they will
> support Gnome better?  That it is better to use the "matching" distro and
> desktop pair?

------
They have consistently shipped Gnome as default for several releases
now. They are one of the primary funding sources of Gnome I believe.

I prefer the KDE and thus install both (you want the Gnome libraries
installed anyway so you can run Gnome programs) and then use the desktop
switching tool to set the startup to KDE. Personally, I don't think the
distro makes a bit of difference with one exception...as you saw,
updating to KDE 2.2 / KOffice 1.1 on RH 7.1 was pretty much a PIA but I
think that their energies were directed towards getting enigma out
instead of back-porting (if that is the correct term) KDE 2.2/KOffice
1.1 to RH 7.1

Is 7.2 in Fry's yet?  I may need a copy from you Alan.

Craig