Just starting out....cannot see cable modem

cg.mk.snow plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:59:03 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C15C16.4FB3BDA0

Hi guys,
Well, I finally have been able to get linux working, but have had no =
luck getting my cable modem to see my computer. In windows it works =
fine, but in linux no go. Here is  a little back ground.
I am using red hat linux 7.1. I downloaded the iso's and burned them to =
CD.
I have cox @home
My ethernet card is not the one they talk about in the DHCP mini howto. =
The Etherlink III 3c509b,  I believe.
The card that interfaces with the cable modem is a Linksys etherlan pci =
II. It came in a networking kit I bought from Linksys. The computer also =
has a 100 Mbps card to connect it to the internal network.
The computer I want to connect directly to the internet plays more of a =
server role than anything.=20
Besides the server, I also have a home network of three other computers.
1) Is the one I normally work on. (100Mbps NIC)
2) Is my wifes. (100Mbps NIC)
3) Is a laptop with enough cable to take it anywhere in the house. =
(10Mbps NIC)
The internal network runs through a Linksys etherfast 10/100 5 port =
workgroup hub. I have not really tried to connect the other computers on =
the internal network yet, because I want to get the linux box connected =
to the internet first. I only mention the other computers to give a bit =
of an idea as to what my final goal is..... Get a linux box working as a =
"server" while doing ip masqing for my internal network.

Now my question.
I read the mini howto on the DHCP server about the -h hostname. However, =
the /sbin/ifup file already appears to have what the howto suggests to =
add. Also, I tried entering the "pump -i eth0 -h hostname" but it keeps =
coming back with a command failed message.
When I start Linux, during LILO, the eth0 card always fails to init.
The how to suggests getting the card out of pnp mode, I am looking into =
finding out how to do that with the linksys card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?  Any input would be =
greatly appreciated.
I was also wondering if i might have the wrong NIC doing the wrong =
thing. What if the internal network NIC is eth0, that would really mess =
things up.

Regards,
Cliff

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C15C16.4FB3BDA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi guys,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, I finally have been able to get =
linux=20
working, but have had no luck getting&nbsp;my cable modem to see my =
computer. In=20
windows it works fine, but in linux no go. Here is&nbsp; a little back=20
ground.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am using red hat linux 7.1. I =
downloaded the=20
iso's and burned them to CD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have cox @home</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My ethernet card is not the one they =
talk about in=20
the DHCP mini howto. The Etherlink III 3c509b,&nbsp;&nbsp;I=20
believe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The card that interfaces with the cable =
modem is a=20
Linksys etherlan pci II. It came in a networking kit I bought from=20
Linksys.&nbsp;The computer&nbsp;also has a 100 Mbps card to connect it =
to the=20
internal network.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The computer I want to connect directly =
to the=20
internet&nbsp;plays more of a server role than anything. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Besides the server, </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>I also have a home network of three other =
computers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Is the one I normally work on. =
(100Mbps=20
NIC)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) Is my wifes. (100Mbps =
NIC)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) Is a laptop with enough cable to =
take it=20
anywhere in the house. (10Mbps NIC)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The internal =
network&nbsp;runs&nbsp;through a=20
Linksys etherfast 10/100 5 port workgroup hub. I have not really tried =
to=20
connect the other computers on the internal network yet, because I want =
to get=20
the linux box connected to the internet first. I only mention the other=20
computers to give a bit of an idea as to what my final goal is..... Get =
a linux=20
box working as a "server" while doing ip masqing for my internal=20
network.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now my question.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I read the mini howto on the DHCP =
server about the=20
-h hostname. However, the /sbin/ifup file already appears to have what =
the howto=20
suggests to add. Also, I tried entering the "pump -i eth0 -h hostname" =
but it=20
keeps coming back with a command failed message.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I start Linux, during LILO, the =
eth0 card=20
always fails to init.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The how to suggests getting the card =
out of pnp=20
mode, I am looking into finding out how to do that with the linksys=20
card.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anyone have any suggestions on =
what to=20
try?&nbsp; Any input would be greatly appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was also wondering if i might have =
the wrong NIC=20
doing the wrong thing. What if the internal network&nbsp;NIC is eth0, =
that would=20
really mess things up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cliff</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C15C16.4FB3BDA0--