Job

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:36:06 -0700

Hi Greg,

Count yourself lucky - I got 4 days.

I've seen several jobs for C/Unix programmers here in the valley.
Some of them just posted today on dice.  Keep in mind, you will
be one of 800 (no kidding) resumes that recruiter gets.

I discovered the best way to get a job with a recruiter today
is to get on their good side (human networking) so when a job
comes open, they call you before it gets posted.  When they
get a job order, they keep it internal before they post it, so
it pays to get in with them.

Right now, recruiters are about as productive in terms of getting
interviews as want ads in the AZ Republic - pretty slim.  I've
had the best luck with Government/Educational entities.  I'm
preparing a list of AZ Gov't web sites for job searching.  It
is posted at http://georgetoft.com/employment/ and will change
as I fill it in.

Prepare for a pay cut, too.  The jobs that a year ago were paying
$90K are going for $50-60K now.  I just applied for a job that
pays $20/hr.  Ouch!  I just interviewed for a Senior FreeBSD/Linux
admin job that pays $45-55K.  Double Ouch!

Get started now.  Everyone techie that I know (save one) that
worked for the Blue Box Credit Card that was laid off still
have not found work - one was laid off in February.

Good Luck.

George