Port 80 still blocked for @Home users?

Digital Wokan plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:22:59 -0700

I have to ask because @Home never blocked me for some reason.  Tonight,
I have a theory.  Do any of those people who can't use port 80 have the
old LanCity modems, or were you all switched to the newer models?
I lost service for a few hours today, and when the tech came out he
tried swapping out my LanCity for a new model.  Only thing is, they
can't switch me out because when they set up my account, they entered
some node or something incorrectly.  The old LanCity doesn't care, but
the new models do and won't sync up.  They can't change my info without
corrupting the account under their current system, so we put the LC back
on and after a few minutes, it sync'd up again.
I never realized just how programmable those new ones are.  I always
though if your service was "capped" at so many K/sec, it was because
@Home did it at the router.  Seems it's the modems doing the capping and
LC's are too old to do it.  (Yes!)
This does leave me wondering... Why would a manufacturer purposely sell
something crippled to consumers?  If I went out to buy a cable modem
(assume using the docsis standard), why would I want to buy something
that's been crippled?  I would think there'd be a great incentive for a
company to sell a cable modem that can't be capped.  Customers would
very likely prefer that in principle at the least.

(Until then, they can have my LanCity when they pry it from my cold
hands... maybe I should go turn off the AC.)