crypto 4 Nov ASULUG

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:50:40 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

For the Nov ASULUG meeting Monika has arranged for Prof Partha Dasgupta to
talk about crypto and privacy. I've heard good things about his crypto class
at ASU. She's also arranged for food :).

Due to the food the Nov meeting will probably be in the MU near the
Computing Commons. The ASULUG web site will have correct info once
everything's been finalized.

###
Cryptography and Privacy
(or "I have nothing to hide")

Partha Dasgupta

Would you tell me what your salary is? How about you address? Social
security number? Fetishes? Most likely not. Thus you must have something to
hide, even though you did not do anything wrong.

Cryptography is an intruiging double-edged sword. It allows people to hide
things. Yet it allows people to identify themselves without a doubt. It
allows documents to be make unalterable and prove the identity of the
author. Yet is allows the identity to remain controllably secret.

This talk presents a quick overview of cryptographic techniques for
authentication, privacy and cooperation amongst untrusting adversaries. We
discuss the importance and pitfalls of the need for privacy. We also
present some scary vulnerabilities of the much-hyped yet dangerous form of
identity tracking called "biometrics".

Partha Dasgupta,        http://cactus.eas.asu.edu/partha
Dept of Computer Science, Arizona State University
###

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
# Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on