RedHat 7.2 where?

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
10 Oct 2001 13:12:37 -0700

--=-l5jTuxfxQ+KQEbWbTzpb

I did the upgrade to ext3 witch was very simple.  There really is not
much worry becuase ext3 is backward compatable with ext2.  I don't know
of any way that by following the howto you could mess anything up.

basic overview of what needs to be done:
1) patch kernel source with ext3 patch
2) recompile kernel with ext3 & 2 support
3) use tune2fs -j to add a journal to your existing ext2 filesystems
	except root (/).  (this is the only diffrenct between ext2&3)
4) edit /etc/fstab and change all settings except root (/) to ext3
5) reboot and make sure that much works
6) tricky part, atleast I had trouble with it
	reboot to an alternative root fs and use
	tune2fs -j on the real root filesystem
7) change /etc/fstab root option to ext3 reboot
8) open and close a bunch of files look at stuff use system hit power
	switch.
9) gaze in ahh and wonder as you have no fsck... :)

disclamer: this is just an overview of what to do.  Please do not try to
do all these steps without first consulting the ext3 howto.

Bill

On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 05:29, Alan Dayley wrote:
>=20
> I was interested in the ext3 file system.  I am not about to take on
> implementation of that on my own!  I would be comfortable with an install
> that sets it up for me.  That is my primary interest in it.  It should al=
so
> have the latest KDE with it, a nice plus.
>=20
> I am assuming from an already published review and an existant FTP
> directory, the release will be soon.
>=20
> Alan
>=20
> >Looks like its still in beta just read the slashdot page ....
> >
> >No mention of a release date yet.
> >
> >To be honest cant see there are going to be to many new whistle and bell=
> >on it.
> >
> >Nige
>=20
>=20
--=20
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.

--=-l5jTuxfxQ+KQEbWbTzpb

--=-l5jTuxfxQ+KQEbWbTzpb--