cat5 wiring question

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:24:49 -0700

> You don't want to mix two distinct on same set of pairs, they are
> twisted together and will possibly cause interference. Wire is cheap,
> you may want to go gigabit in future - etc.

1 & 2 and 3 & 6 and twsited together, the left over wires aren't twisted
around the first 2 pairs, just running along side them.

> I was under the assumption that you needed all 4 pair for cat 5 - and
> that the 2 pair 123&6 were necessary for cat 3.

Nope, you can do 100Mb with 4 wires.

I personally would just wire it straight though like normal and then use the
splitter jacks or a hub to get more connections.   With the price of cat 5
walls jacks such as they are a set of splitter will only cost a little bit
more and then you are still wired for gigabit in the future if that uses all
4 pair.

Brian Cluff