cat5 wiring question

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 11:11:23 -0700

"David A. Sinck" wrote:

> \_ SMTP quoth Brian Cluff on 10/5/2001 09:16 as having spake thusly:
> \_
> \_ It doesn't matter which one you use, as long as you use the same one for
> \_ both sides.  Ethernet actaully only uses 1,2,3,6 and if you look at the
> \_ colors that are left over after you take out the unused ones you
>
> 'unused'?  So if I were being pointlessly cheap, I could use one
> strand of cat5 to populate two jacks?  Or are they carrying important
> grounding information?
----
whattayamean if?

You don't want to mix two distinct on same set of pairs, they are
twisted together and will possibly cause interference. Wire is cheap,
you may want to go gigabit in future - etc.

I was under the assumption that you needed all 4 pair for cat 5 - and
that the 2 pair 123&6 were necessary for cat 3.

Things to consider...

1. Fry's ad today - $ 39.95 for 1000M cat 5 cable

2. If residential - I would go wireless - yeah it costs more but so does
time and so does inflexibility.

Craig