Cox@Home's response to an inquiry regarding 11/30 cutoff.

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:39:54 -0700

"David A. Sinck" wrote:
> ... wouldn't mind if the rest of you chimed in and got them
> to see it's bigger than just a single $45/mo shmuck that
> they're potentially losing.

This is what I sent them:

Subject: Cox High-Speed Internet[sm]
   Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:43:03 -0700
   From: Victor Odhner <vodhner@home.com>
     To: C0X Communications <feedback@cox.com>
     CC: Vodhner Alternative Address <victor@newearth.org>

Hello,

I wanted to touch base with you about your proposed new service.

This question is connected with something that has recently occurred
with Qwest Communications.  They are changing to MSN as their
Internet Service Provider, which leaves Mac and Linux users
(for example) out in the cold.  I understand they are also in some
cases restricting user access to POP mail servers other than their
own.

So I'm just writing to remind you that you have many customers
who have technology needs beyond what Microsoft offers.
(My computer is a dual-boot Windows/Linux system, required for me
to stay professionally up to date with new open source technologies.)

I'm not demanding support for non-mainstream technology, but
just asking that sophisticated users not be forced into a box
designed for non-technical consumers -- expecially one that
would force beyond-Microsoft users to look for another service.
I have enjoyed the flexibility of a fully general Internet
connection via Cox, and hope that this will continue.

I'm hoping that Cox's new ISP service will be in line with the
excellent quality I have experienced with your cable connections,
TV service and telephone service.  Excite has been a drag on
your quality, and I'm looking forward to an improvement with your
new service.

Thanks,

Victor Odhner