Jabber/IRC/etc (was Re: "JABBER" on the list Can't wekeep it down?)

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:34:15 -0700

"Craig White" <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> [...]
> well - my procmail scripts are pretty much limited to sorting out all
> the mail lists into different mail files (folders) but if anyone wants
> to offer some lessons on how to filter Jabber - I'm up for the education.

I use it the same way, for the most part. However, if one were generally
interested in a mailing list, but extremely annoyed by postings from certain
postings ("always have attachments") or content (html), procmail rules could
easily drop the offending mails or modify the content (strip return receipt
requests) whilst leaving the good stuff intact. A thousand other ways to do
it, of course, but a scoring based on "noise words" seems promising.

A set of nested rules would do it. Start by recognizing messages to the
list, then set up rules underneath to strip certain content from, dump or
file as desired. You could even go the other way, and flag messages with
"golden" words for special attention, with the rest going to a bulk folder.

Well, those are some that come to mind anyhow.

- Bob