"JABBER" on the list Can't we keep it down?

sm plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:14:44 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Tom Achtenberg wrote:

> I have to at least partially agree that this list has too much noise
> on it.  At times I've wondered if my subscription was changed from
> Linux User Group to Lets bash MS group.  I would include in the noise
> my own thread of @home possible shutting down and all the Qwest
> bashing others were doing.  Eliminating these kind of posts would
> reduce the daily message count from 40-60 down to about 15.  Just MHO.

If this were a list like LKM or some other list with only an established
goal or somethng along those lines, I would agree with you fully.  But
PLUG is a social group as well as a technical group, and I say people
shouldn't be suprised if some form of socialization takes place over the
mailing list, which is what some of the noise is.

I do get sick of MS bashing, but my head has pretty good thread tracking.
If the subject isn't something I like, I ignore it.

The Coxx@home thread, on the other hand, has provided me with *useful*
information.  For example, I found out they were looking for a new
upstream provider.  Being an @work hopeful subscriber, this is important
news to me.

So, again I say, this is a technical problem, which requires a technical
solution.  Just telling people to shut up and reducing the message count
kills off what a lot of this group should be about, IMHO.

-Sam