Connecting to NT printers

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:32:55 -0700

Tom Achtenberg wrote:

> My NT box is running ZoneAlarm.  If I turn ZA off the smbclient and ping can
> see the server.  Smbclient still does not see the shares, just the server and
> 1 of the 4 other PC's on my network.  I will NOT leave ZA off.  I configured
> ping in ZA as a server and authorised it both local and internet and the
> ;inux box could not see it, but then neither could my Win2K box yet it can
> see the printers.

----------
Zone Alarm is fine - you need to learn how to configure it so that it
permits connections from 'friendly' hosts. Suggest that you learn how to
create lmhosts file - and permit all access to and from local computers
- or at least access that is necessary which would be at least things
like TCP 137,138,139 and possibly others - I don't know but I think the
lpd protocol is on another port.
----------
> > Is Windows NT Server a domain controller? If so - get the domain name
> > exactly right in the 'Workgroup' in /etc/samba/smb.conf
> >

> I made this change.  As I said before, I had left everything as the defaults.
>
> > then 'service smb restart'
> >

> This was an unknowen command so I rebooted.
---------
strange - I thought you were using red hat 7.2 - this should work. The
long form of this would be '/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart'
---------

> > then 'smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME' - this will join the domain/create a
> > workstation trust account for the linux box on the domain server.
> >

> This failed saying it could not join the domain.
--------
Zone Alarm rides again!
--------

> > then you should have no trouble with 'smbclient -L
> > ip_address_of_Win_NT_Server (though you might have to supply an
> > administrator password to access the shares.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> I wish this were so.  Linux is such an unfriendly system.
--------
I have said this before and I will say this again. There are those who
curse the darkness and those that light candles.

People that want to sit back and click their way thru gui configurations
are often befuddled by the details. If you begin to grasp the details of
linux - then you will find that even Windows NT etc. makes more sense.
Thus I don't think you are having as much trouble with linux as you are
having trouble with Zone Alarm - which is smack dab in the middle of the
problem. If you shut it off for an hour, and tinker with things, you
will find that these things indeed work.

Having a firewall product installed on a local lan machine is a rather
hostile thing to do if you intend to actually try to share files,
printers and services. Better to have the firewall stand sentry at the
internet connection and you can have all the local lan machines freely
interact with each other. I shudder to think of having a machine on the
local lan that isn't trusted.

Craig