Connecting to NT printers

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:52:26 -0700

On Sunday 25 November 2001 06:32 pm, you wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> you should be able to see the shares with a command...
>
> smbclient -L ip_address_of_Windows_NT_Server
>
> So let's get more basic
>
> Does Windows NT Server have TCP/IP protocol installed? Is ip address on the
> same subnet as your linux box? Does Windows NT server have ANY firewall
> product running on it?  Does Linux box have a firewall running on it?
> 'ipchains -L' or if you are using iptables 'iptables -L' - is it possible
> that the netbios ports 137/138/139 are blocked on the internal lan NIC?

My NT box is running ZoneAlarm.  If I turn ZA off the smbclient and ping can
see the server.  Smbclient still does not see the shares, just the server and
1 of the 4 other PC's on my network.  I will NOT leave ZA off.  I configured
ping in ZA as a server and authorised it both local and internet and the
;inux box could not see it, but then neither could my Win2K box yet it can
see the printers.

> Is Windows NT Server a domain controller? If so - get the domain name
> exactly right in the 'Workgroup' in /etc/samba/smb.conf

I made this change.  As I said before, I had left everything as the defaults.

> then 'service smb restart'

This was an unknowen command so I rebooted.

> then 'smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME' - this will join the domain/create a
> workstation trust account for the linux box on the domain server.

This failed saying it could not join the domain.

> then you should have no trouble with 'smbclient -L
> ip_address_of_Win_NT_Server (though you might have to supply an
> administrator password to access the shares.
>
> Craig

I wish this were so.  Linux is such an unfriendly system.