Connecting to NT printers

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:32:40 -0700 (MST)

Quoting Tom Achtenberg <tachtenberg@qwest.net>:

> The connection failed.
>
> At this point I have not changed anything on the NT server.  Do I need
> install or change any settings there for it to see the Linux box?

----------
Hmmm...

you should be able to see the shares with a command...

smbclient -L ip_address_of_Windows_NT_Server

So let's get more basic

Does Windows NT Server have TCP/IP protocol installed? Is ip address on the
same subnet as your linux box? Does Windows NT server have ANY firewall product
running on it?  Does Linux box have a firewall running on it? 'ipchains -L' or
if you are using iptables 'iptables -L' - is it possible that the netbios ports
137/138/139 are blocked on the internal lan NIC?

Is Windows NT Server a domain controller? If so - get the domain name exactly
right in the 'Workgroup' in /etc/samba/smb.conf

then 'service smb restart'

then 'smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME' - this will join the domain/create a workstation
trust account for the linux box on the domain server.

then you should have no trouble with 'smbclient -L ip_address_of_Win_NT_Server
(though you might have to supply an administrator password to access the shares.

Craig

This mail sent through IMP: barney.azapple.com