Woohoo!!!

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:10:20 -0700

Tom Achtenberg wrote:

> I'm using RH 7.2  Can't get much more current than ahta.  Neither CD or
> Floppy automounted.  The CD will only mount if I have a data not an audio CD
> in it and I have yet to get the floppy to mount.

-----
My /etc/fstab (RH 7.2) includes...

/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto
user,owner,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0 0
LABEL=/usr      /usr            ext3     defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var      /var            ext3    defaults        1 2
none            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
none            /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/hda8       swap            swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

As you can see, there are no automounts for /mnt/floppy or /mnt/cdrom

Thus - to mount cd or floppy, I have to 'mount /mnt/cdrom' or 'mount
/mnt/floppy' manually

I believe that if you want automount - you must change the 'noauto' to
'auto' and then it still would only work for root and since I am
generally running as a user, you might want to change 'owner' to 'user'

The problem with automount is that there is no 'auto unmount' so you
still have to manually unmount these things so it seems that there is
little to benefit from auto mounts on removable devices.

Audio CD's apparently do not mount at all, but the players play them.

Craig