Read version and distro?

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:49:05 -0700

--qcHopEYAB45HaUaB

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 04:42:36PM -0700, Bill Warner wrote:
> uname -a
>=20
> will give you the kernel version
>=20
> /etc/issue || /etc/issue.net
>=20
> will normally have the distribution in it.  but there is no
> one given spot to find this information from that I know of.
>=20
> Bill Warner

This is good, though other places to look for distribution information is
under /etc/<distroname>-release. Ex: RedHat will always have an
/etc/redhat-release file, I believe slackware has an /etc/slackware-release
file, though I'm not sure (quite certain the Slackware guys on the list will
either agree or blow up at me. =3Dop).

By far, the best method of determining which distribution is installed is by
identifying the package manager (RH=3DRPM, DEB=3Ddpkg/aptget, SLACK=3Dpkgma=
nager),
and the various filesystem nuances. Additionally, check the main info page
as some distros have been known to add the distro name to the head of the
info.dir file.

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu