Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:13:04 -0700

KevinO wrote:
> My maintenance has required about 1 visit per year,
> of less than an hours duration, per machine...

Kevin, I have to admit I had less success than you.
I worked hard to get RH7.1 on my daughter-in-law's
machine, and was pretty well flummoxed with the
PPP connection to Inficad.  The Red Had dialer
would work the first time after a boot, then it
would mess up and start getting SEGV aborts.
There was no way to get rid of old connect processes.

I later went to KPPP which worked a lot better.
For me, that is.  I demonstrated it for her, and
it worked fine till I went home, then she couldn't
get in ...

And her Internet connection was all she cared about.
The machine ended up serving as a doorstop till I
brought it home.

Of course I've had worse problems with Windows, but it
was a bummer failing so totally on my only attempt at
a turnkey Linux installation.

Vic