Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:41:04 -0700

Bob Cober wrote:
[snip]
> My (lengthy) point is this.  Hopefully, someday in the future, the company
> will not provide your OS or even your hardware.  You will bring that with
> you.  Your PC is like your wallet, or even part of your own brain.  You will
> bring it with you from job to job.  All the company IT people do is provide
> a place for you to plug in.  As long as we use more and more Open Standards
> like TCP/IP, this might be possible.  Let the user select his own computing
> device...!!!!

Two words: Proprietary Information or Intellectual Property.  All
the e-mail, etc that you saved or replicated on your hard drive is
Company Property, and they won't want you leaving with it.

George