Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Bob Cober plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:27:02 -0700

Interesting point George.

Today I work for a medium sized company (1000 employees) that is owned by a
very large Parent.  The Parent controls some IT selection (Like Lotus
Notes), but does not mandate the desktop.  Our infrastructure people have a
standard NT/Novell desktop and control pushing applications to each users
desk.   Switching to a new desktop will cost a tremendous amount for our
1000 employee company.  Currently they use NT and Novell and the
infrastructure folks want to move to 2000 and Novell.

7 years ago I worked for a smaller (350 employees) company that had just as
big a parent.  The difference was that they had no stsandard desktop.
Different divisions and people had different set-ups - Accounting ran
Windows 3.11, Actuarial - Windows For Workgroups, Underwriting OS/2, IT ran
mostly Solaris I think.  The parent used mostly OS/2.  The funny thing was,
the competencey/computer aptitiude of the employee base at this place was
substantlially higher.  They didn't pay their people more, or formally
require them to know more, it's just that the culture of the company had
computer literacy ingrained.  The IT infrastrucure people provided a file
system sharing network, access to the company mainframe, and hardware
support.  The users picked the OS.  Typically the manager of a division
would pick an OS and stick with it.  Alot of this may also have been caused
by reluctance to use OS2, but the result was the same.  More capable staff.

My (lengthy) point is this.  Hopefully, someday in the future, the company
will not provide your OS or even your hardware.  You will bring that with
you.  Your PC is like your wallet, or even part of your own brain.  You will
bring it with you from job to job.  All the company IT people do is provide
a place for you to plug in.  As long as we use more and more Open Standards
like TCP/IP, this might be possible.  Let the user select his own computing
device...!!!!