Trouble sending email

William Lindley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 14:38:19 -0700 (MST)

> I found that it fails for me the first time... Then the second time I
> try to connect it works.

AHH!  It's the dreaded POP-before-SMTP routine!  The folks who bring you
mail transfer agents (MTAs) like Postfix are busy adding this feature,
requiring you to receive mail before you send it.

Unfortunately when *MY* Postfix tries to send mail to *THEIRS* it breaks
just as you're seeing.  The folks writing the MTA software don't think
it's their problem to make Postfix (as one example) log into POP before it
opens SMTP.  In other words they are creating a problem for their own
program and denying it's anything to do with them.

It is very frustrating and I look forward to any comments on how we can
find a solution.

\\/