M's to RTF?

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 May 2001 07:15:13 -0700

Open the box, pull out the modem and NIC, and write down the numbers on
the chips.

With this knowledge, you should be able to install drivers.  LinkSys
makes pretty good parts, and I have never had any problems with the
NICs - as long as I know what driver to use.  If it's an ISA card,
try the NE2000 driver.  If it's PCI, try NE2K-PCI (or something like
that).

If that doesn't work, use google and search the net for "linux
drivers linksys <your chipset number>"

If that doesn't work, try using "insmod <driver>"  where <driver>
is a list of everything in /lib/modules/<kernel>/net without the .o

In my experience with non 3Com cards, NE2000, NE2K-PCI and TULIP
fit most NICs.

The modem is another story.

George