80% Off on Kylix at LinuxMall

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 27 May 2001 12:26:19 -0700

It seems the price drop is effective at least through August.

I worked with a beta copy of Kylix, and what's most remarkable about it is how similar it is to the Windows version.  Borland does not
differentiate its products by varying the basic IDE (Integrated Development Environment).  Rather, they add additional components and
packages to higher-end SKUs.  I don't imagine you'll find much difference when it comes to building basic Linux apps; the difference will be
found mostly in the "Server's" ability to roll apps that integrate with Apache to support server-side stuff.  IOW, you can build Client-side
apps just as easily with either one, but the "Server" SKU has stuff in it that makes building server-side apps way simpler.  Third parties
will likely come out with components before very long that ease the development of server-side apps in the "Desktop" version.

It's said the a large portion of existing Delphi components will port to Kylix with little or no changes needed.  The site
http://www.torry.net has the largest collection of 3rd party stuff available for Delphi/Kylix environments; a lot of it is freeware, and a
lot of it is shareware.

I cannot comment on how well it handles different target environments like KDE vs., Gnome.  Their web site should explain that.