More Kernel 2.4 Q's

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 May 2001 11:12:42 -0700

Craig, I'm waiting for your answers too.  I tried to build a new RH 7.1
kernel to include IPX support but that portion's broken.  I found some
online discussion of it, including a kernel patch but it's not RH
specific.  IIRC, it's a fix for 2.4-3 instead of 2.4-2 (plus I've never
done kernel patch voodoo).

I think I can help with #4.  After I hose everything up, 'make mrproper'
*seems* to reset to the defaults.

I've got a pretty sad record of getting a new kernel *and* the modules
to work.  I've occasionally just built everything I need into the
kernel.  I use the same build sequence, FWIW: make menuconfig followed
by  dep, clean, bzImage, modules, modules_install, install.  Also
experimented a bit with the linuxconf 'install new kernel' thing
followed by lilo instead of 'make install'.

I hope someday to find kernel docs starting with "If you follow these
instructions it will always work..." :-)

Steve