More Kernel 2.4 Q's

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 May 2001 11:54:24 -0700

Re: compiling 2.4 kernel / RH 7.1 but I don't know that it makes a
difference.

1. Do I install kernel-headers-XXX.rpm & kernel-XXX-i586.rpm (or whatever
for hardware) or do I have to also install kernel-i386.rpm also? I presume
that when these are installed, they install themselves in the /usr/src tree.

2. Should I make a copy of the /usr/src tree to another tree and begin
compiling from there so I don't affect kernel already installed?

3. Appears that one of the mistakes that I made was not editing the Makefile
BEFORE I did make bzImage. Will doing this automatically create a second
entry in lilo so that I have a means to go back to my original boot-kernel
if I screw up (and I will screw up).

4. If I want to wipe out the process and start all over, can I simply rm -fr
/usr/src contents and reinstall kernel-headers et al. as in Question 1 to go
back to ground zero?

5. Had problems with modularized kernels...tho I had selected modularized
kernels in make menuconfig, my make modules process would error on those
options I had selected "M" instead of "*" in the make menuconfig. Any clue
where I went wrong here?

6. My process was
 - make menuconfig
 - make dep
 - make clean
   (apparently I should have changed the "VERSION" here in the Makefile)
 - make bzImage
 - make modules
 - make modules_install

 and finally

 - make install

 run lilo (though it seemed that make install did that).

Is am missing any steps here?

7. Seemed that because I didn't change the "VERSION" in the Makefile, my
modules were hosed when I tried to go back to boot original kernel/boot. Is
there some safeguard to protect the modules so I can boot from either or
should that occur normally?

8. If I just want to recompile kernel as originally shipped by RedHat but
with one or two alterations (like my desire to add ipmasqadm to ipchains
functionality), will my adding the ipmasqadm source to the /usr/src tree and
running make menuconfig take it's options from RedHat's original
distribution choices or does make menuconfig start up with it's own defaults
and I am left to my own devices to know exactly what I want?

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to enlighten some the of the dark
areas of my knowledge base.

Craig

- Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252
- e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com
- world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com
- e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net
- cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752
- voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445