Kernel 2.4 Q's

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:03:29 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. May, 2001 schwäzte Craig White so:

> thus I turned to ipchains and downloaded ipmasqadm. This must be compiled
> into kernel to make it's magic. I never compiled kernel before so learning
> curve was steep. I could never compile a kernel that could run
> ipchains...everytime I booted a new kernel and attempted to set an ipchains
> ruleset, I would get the message "ipchains not supported in this kernel".

You've not enabled whatever goo ipchains wants.

I forget what all you want, but it should be listed in Rusty's guide.

> Kernel sources were the RedHat 7.1 from the CD (mistake?).

If you're running 7.1 you should be able to use either ipchains or iptables
out of the box.

> Many more questions on compiling kernel tomorrow but for now...
>
> Is it possible to compile kernel (2.4.x) and still use ipchains?

Yup, default install of RedHat 7.1 uses 2.4.x and ipchains.

> Does anyone know of THOROUGH rulesets for iptables/netfilter?

I haven't tried either of them yet, but I see ferm and knetfilter in debian
unstable. knetfilter says it's a GUI.

> Does anyone know of utility to translate ipchains rulesets to
> iptables/netfilter (I am understanding that port forwarding is part and
> parcel of iptables.

I think netfilter, aka iptables, understands ipchains commands.

Maybe we can get Nick to respond. He knows better than I :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.Aligo.com