Kernel 2.4 Q's

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 May 2001 03:29:47 -0700

Context - wanting to have 3 NIC's in a firewall computer. 1 for Public IP -
1 for lan masquerade - 1 for DMZ for web server.

Software - Redhat 7.1 (2.4.2 kernel) - using IPCHAINS for firewall scripts.

---
My desire was to use port forwarding. I know nothing about
iptables/netfilter and am not ready to implement and from what I saw from
TrinityOS (David Ranch's work of art) and Rusty's unreliable guides (hail
Rusty), it appears that they're not ready for prime time.

thus I turned to ipchains and downloaded ipmasqadm. This must be compiled
into kernel to make it's magic. I never compiled kernel before so learning
curve was steep. I could never compile a kernel that could run
ipchains...everytime I booted a new kernel and attempted to set an ipchains
ruleset, I would get the message "ipchains not supported in this kernel".
Kernel sources were the RedHat 7.1 from the CD (mistake?).

Many more questions on compiling kernel tomorrow but for now...

Is it possible to compile kernel (2.4.x) and still use ipchains?

Does anyone know of THOROUGH rulesets for iptables/netfilter?

Does anyone know of utility to translate ipchains rulesets to
iptables/netfilter (I am understanding that port forwarding is part and
parcel of iptables.

Thanks - as always...

Craig

- Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252
- e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com
- world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com
- e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net
- cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752
- voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445