PPPoE config problem, more info

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 20 May 2001 11:00:04 -0700

--------------65B7A596F2C6375825E5F40A

Julian,
    Thanks for the advice.  I will definitely try this.  I'm sure now that I must have been doing something fundamentally wrong,
because I tried switching my eth0 and eth1 interfaces, and it still didn't work.  Unfortunately, the little blurbs I found in my search
on the Web all seemed to recommend a PPPoE client, and not a DHCP client.  Guess I have to learn to take these recommendations with a
grain of salt.

Later,
Vaughn

Julian M Catchen wrote:

> [...]
> directly from you box.  However, you should be speaking ethernet to the
> router and the router should be speaking PPP to the Qwest network.
>
> Anyway, not sure if this helps, but I use dhclient to connect several boxes
> through a HUB to my Cisco router and have had no problems connecting to the
> network.
>
> ----julian
>
> On Sat, 19 May 2001 22:43:37 Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >     A couple of days ago, I posted a message requesting help getting my
> > Qwest DSL connection working on a Linux box.  Since I didn't receive any
> > replies, I kept trying other approaches.  It's still not working, but I
> > have a lot more info I can share.  Maybe this time my message will make
> > a bit more sense and somebody will be able to  point me in the right
> > direction.
> >     When I signed up for Qwest, they sent me a Cisco 678 modem and an
> > Intel Pro100+ PCI ethernet card.  I was able to get the Cisco modem to
> > talk to two of my Windows boxes (with existing LAN cards) so I know it
> > works.  I installed the Intel ethernet card in my Mandrake box, and it
> > recognized it right away and installed the eepro100 driver.  I
> > configured it as eth1 because I had an existing eth0 ethernet connection
> > to my LAN.
> >     Since I'm running Mandrake 7.0, I don't have any kernel-based PPPoE
> > support.  I downloaded the source for the Roaring Penguin PPPoE client
> > and compiled and installed it without a hitch.  I also followed their
> > setup instructions to enter the info for my new ISP (Qwest.)  The PPPoE
> > daemon would start and run, but when I started Netscape, I wasn't able
> > to browse the web or check my email.   So I ran the Roaring Penguin
> > client in its debug mode.  I fixed a few minor problems, but the same
> > thing would always happen-- it would time out trying to get PADO
> > packets, and also send just three PADI packets and quit.
> >     Following RP's suggestions, I made sure the Intel card was
> > configured to run at 10Mbps half-duplex.  (I used the mii-diag
> > utility.)  It still didn't work.  Then, on searching Google for relevant
> > postings, I found a message that suggested using Intel's e100 driver
> > instead of eepro100.  I tried this also; it appeared to work, but still
> > wouldn't connect.
> >     I'm going to insert part of the Roaring Penguin debug log, in case
> > some kind soul would like to glance for it for any obvious problems.
> > I'll add some comments here and there.  I also notices a strange error
> > in /var/log/messages that happened when I run the adsl start script:
> >
> > May 19 22:09:43 basil modprobe: can't locate module char-major-108
> >
> > I believe this means that I'm missing some sort of driver but how do I
> > figure out which?
> >
> > Anyway, the following stuff is the debug dump.  I've deleted some of the
> > repetitive and extraneous stuff.   Thanks very much in advance for any

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------65B7A596F2C6375825E5F40A

Julian,
this.&nbsp; I'm sure now that I must have been doing something fundamentally
wrong, because I tried switching my eth0 and eth1 interfaces, and it still
didn't work.&nbsp; Unfortunately, the little blurbs I found in my search
on the Web all seemed to recommend a PPPoE client, and not a DHCP client.&nbsp;
Guess I have to learn to take these recommendations with a grain of salt.
All that
is no need
would need
to the
boxes
to the
requesting help getting my
receive any
but I
will make
right
a Cisco 678 modem and an
modem to
it
and it
any kernel-based PPPoE
client
their
The PPPoE
able
Penguin
the same
Intel card was
for relevant
but still
debug log, in case
error
do I
some of the
advance for any
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------65B7A596F2C6375825E5F40A--