PPPoE config problem, more info

Julian M Catchen plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 20 May 2001 10:30:09 -0700

Vaughn,

I don't know if this will help:

I have Qwest DSL and I use an external Cisco 675 modem/router that they
gave me and an Intel PCI ethernet card using the eepro100 driver.  All that
I need to connect to the Cisco router is a DHCP client.  There is no need
for PPPoE at all.  The only reason (and I may be wrong) that you would need
PPPoE is if you had one of the internal modems and were speaking PPP
directly from you box.  However, you should be speaking ethernet to the
router and the router should be speaking PPP to the Qwest network.

Anyway, not sure if this helps, but I use dhclient to connect several boxes
through a HUB to my Cisco router and have had no problems connecting to the
network.

----julian