Debian & 2.4 kernel

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 16 May 2001 13:25:55 -0700 (MST)

Am 16. May, 2001 schwäzte meg@cs.csoft.net so:

> I am in the process of testing 2.4 kernels on my Debian boxes, and
> if I remember correctly from the days of upgrading to 2.2, I have
> to point my apt at the unstable archive.  Is this correct?

Actually, you want testing, not unstable.

> I have no problems installing the kernel, but iptables seems to rely
> upon a newer version of libc6.  Am I correct in understanding
> the easiest way is to just do a update from the unstable
> archives?  If so, as anyone ran into any probs in doing so?

I've been running several machines ( including all 3 of my desktops and my
mail server ) off unstable for months. Very few issues.

See the config[1] I setup that allows apt-test for testing and apt-uns for
unstable.

apt-test update
apt-test install <some package>
# apt-test -u dist-upgrade # if you want to move to testing altogether

There's an "apt-get install testing:<some package>" type of tool in the
works. Don't know the status of it.

ciao,

der.hans

[1] http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/unix/#Sachen_von_mir.

--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.Aligo.com
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,