iptables & PATH

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:35:13 -0700

---
no - on RH7.1 your guess is correct
---

> if you are creating a script, I would recommend using the
> entire path to iptables on each line
>
> (such as: /sbin/iptables <rule here>)
---
indeed, shell scripts do not necessarily pick up the user paths - especially
if they are run as part of a startup script - thus no user is really
executing the script.
---

> and then run it as rc.firewall.
--------
this is a bit iffy since default install of ipchains on RH7.1 will look in
/etc/sysconfig for a file called iptables. There is the configuration file.
Apparently, it will not run iptables if there are ipchains rulesets - only
one or the other but not both at the same time (makes sense to me).

Up until now, I have located a file in /etc/rc.d called rc.firewall and
launched it with chkconfig registered service that I called firewall in
/etc/rc.d/init.d. While you can apply this logic with iptables, the conf
file is defaulted to /etc/sysconfig so YMMV.

Craig