Dynamic Signatures

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 10 May 2001 00:22:10 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. May, 2001 schwäzte Julian M Catchen so:

> Is there a way to have your email signature file generated dynamically?
> What I mean by that is not simply a program that regenerates it every
> so many minutes as a cron job, but a mechanism that would regenerate it
> whenever the file is opened for reading.  So, kind of like the /proc
> filesystem where files appear to be real, they can be read or written to,
> but in reality they are functions that are executing whenever the proc
> file is opened for reading or writing.

I figured balsa would be able to read from a pipe as pine does. Don't see
that listed as a feature and don't see it in the FAQ, so you'll probably
need to resort to a name fifo as Nick suggested.

BTW, while rummaging through the FAQ they mentioned something about being in
the GUI. Does that mean there's a way to not be in the GUI with balsa?
Specifically, is there a text-only mode?

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.