Dynamic Signatures

Julian M Catchen plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 9 May 2001 20:36:55 -0700

Ok, I have a question that will either be answered really easily, or not
answered at all:

Is there a way to have your email signature file generated dynamically?
What I mean by that is not simply a program that regenerates it every so
many minutes as a cron job, but a mechanism that would regenerate it
whenever the file is opened for reading.  So, kind of like the /proc
filesystem where files appear to be real, they can be read or written to,
but in reality they are functions that are executing whenever the proc file
is opened for reading or writing.

If this is possible, then all standard mail programs could use this dynamic
file without changes.

So, any takers (or am I totally off with this)?

Thanks,

julian

--
j. m. c a t c h e n | (t o p e k a)