[azipa] Torvalds responds to Microsoft

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 9 May 2001 08:51:01 -0700

1) It's probably time to migrate this thread to PLUG.  The AZIPA green-heads
are probably tired of deleting it.

2)  "Cavemen", er, our pre-modern ancestors, did think of intellectual
property rights.  They just couldn't protect them.  Shamen kept ritual
secrets.  Tribes and units within tribes including clans and voluntary
sodalities also kept secrets.

However, for all but the last three or four centuries intellectual property
was synonymous with secrecy or physical monopoly.

-- Nestorian monks had to smuggle silkworms out of China to Persia.  This
broke the Chinese silk monopoly.

-- They say that Shakespeare doled out parts to his actors line by line.
Actors never got to read the whole play.  That way his competitors had
trouble stealing it.

Of course, secrecy is still the ultimate protection for intellectual
property.  In many ways copyright is unsatisfactorily weak.  Hence the
desire for software patents.