just incase you missed it

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 08 May 2001 13:23:53 -0700

My $0.02.  I can understand posting Windows source code may be
inappropriate to a Linux list.  One could argue that posting exploit
code to the general discussion list could be considered misplaced.  I
don't, however, equate posting or possessing exploit code with being a
script kiddie, any more than owning or buying a rifle is the same as
being a sniper in a tower.

I considered it educational.  I read the source and had a brief snicker
that MS never learns their lessons.  Glancing at the 'sploit' data, the
large number of '0x90's (opcode for NOP) make it obvious that it's Yet
Another Buffer Overflow.  That MS would add a new internet service (the
printer thing, AFAIK it's IIS 5.0 only) and have that kind of error pass
through QC is incredible.

I'd suppose that the people who search out such holes just read the
What's New portion of the release notes to acquire their next target.
By now, you *know* anything new is going to have huge embarrassing
security holes in it.

MHO, FWIW it was an error but far from heinous.
Steve