USB CDRs ( Re: KDE 2.1.1 first impressions)

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 7 May 2001 22:08:23 -0700

On Monday 07 May 2001 07:45 pm, you wrote:
> * Craig White (craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:
> > [ snip: KDE HTML/txt views, XFree Virtual resolutions ]
> >
> > Now if only I could get that USB CD-ROM working...
>
> Craig,
>
> They say it isn't supported:
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.html#ss1.5
>
> But don't be discouraged since there are some possibilities:
> http://linux-usb.org
>
> And more specifically for mass storage:
> http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~mdharm/linux-usb/
>
> Here's a thread from Philly (also PLUG:) that flushes some out some of
> the issues:
> http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/pubarchive/plug/2000-December/006790.h
>tml
>
> That underlines the possibility of using USB mass storage support to
> masquerade the USB CDR as a SCSI device.  From a quick look at the
> one-eyed-alien site, it doesn't look like there's been success with cd
> recorders yet.  Looks like if there's SCSI presentation of the device, then
> there is a chance in hell for cdrecord to work.

-------
I think that I already covered that in a previous post. I actually exhausted
my energies at linux-usb.org and the last link provided nothing but a
particular lucky stab I think.

Anyway, using my Adaptec APA-1450A and my Sony SCSI CD-R it located and
installed automatically - probably because I had previously aliased
block-major-8 sd_mod in modules.conf

X-CD-Roast seemed to like it and I had no problem mounting a CD disk in RO
mode.

Using the SCSI drive is a bit of a pain but at least I know it can be done.
Would definitely prefer using the USB Drive but...

Thanks,

Craig