USB CDRs ( Re: KDE 2.1.1 first impressions)

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 7 May 2001 19:45:48 -0700

* Craig White (craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:

> [ snip: KDE HTML/txt views, XFree Virtual resolutions ]
>
> Now if only I could get that USB CD-ROM working...

Craig,

They say it isn't supported:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.html#ss1.5

But don't be discouraged since there are some possibilities:
http://linux-usb.org

And more specifically for mass storage:
http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~mdharm/linux-usb/

Here's a thread from Philly (also PLUG:) that flushes some out some of
the issues:
http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/pubarchive/plug/2000-December/006790.html

That underlines the possibility of using USB mass storage support to
masquerade the USB CDR as a SCSI device.  From a quick look at the
one-eyed-alien site, it doesn't look like there's been success with cd
recorders yet.  Looks like if there's SCSI presentation of the device, then
there is a chance in hell for cdrecord to work.

Gontran