NFS

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 7 May 2001 07:43:36 -0700

---------
no_root_squash was the ticket.

Since this is only for use in my house, I don't think I need to worry about
user abuse beyond the enormous potential for damage that this user offers
;-) I probably wouldn't have needed NFS so badly if I could get that USB CD
to work.

As for SSH working on username instead of UID - I don't think that's really
the case, it's semantically correct but you are really only dealing with one
filesystem as opposed to an NFS mount which crosses the barrier between two
filesystems with separate permissions management. Inside the barriers of my
house (behind the firewall), I can use ftp easily enough but compared to
NFS, it's so clumsy to xfer files.

Or better yet (forward thinking here) - updating Redhat from 6 to 7 is a
clumsy experience. I have client firewalls that I have built using 6. Up
until now, I had to either bring in a hard drive and connect it as a slave
to copy off the conf files. Now, I can bring in my Sony PictureBook and use
NFS - much more painless.

I will bring the PictureBook to the meeting (if I can make it) if there is
interest. I would love to have Kurt look at it and see if there's any
suggestions on how to prevent windows from extending beyond the bottom of
the screen height (480) or better yet, help me implement XFree86-4 to have a
virtual height of 768 like I do on Windows to allow the screen image to
scroll.

Thanks Kevin, Hans, Eden

Craig