More MS FUD

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 5 May 2001 16:04:35 -0700

Linux wrote:

> [...]
> Oh by the way I don't think anyone will be able to outlaw Open Source
> because if I own something I am free to give it away with restrictions.
> Isn't this exactly what a will does?  Would that not make a will
> unlawful or unenforceable?

Well, let's see. If I will you my pet rock collection, and it's valued at
$15,000, you get to pony up taxes for it. (Not a real example, but you get
the idea.) Let's watch the lawyers argue that giving away free software is
actually "gifting" and therefore subject to taxation if the value is over
the $10,000 limit. Oh, and Microsoft will provide the comparison ranges for
determining value, since they ARE the single source for most of it these
days (so they'll say). So let's see: A full blown, internet capable server
OS with unlimited user licenses is worth, oh say $20K. Those games another
$30 apiece. And so on...

When they're done, software may be free, but the taxes will kill us.

I dread the day the lawyers and tax folks start to look at open
source/freeware!

- Bob
 (In a paranoid moment)