More MS FUD

Linux plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 5 May 2001 10:35:39 -0700

Trent,

You write a very interesting article here.

As I read it I realized that  greed causes greed.

If I am of limited means and all I have is a loaf of bread and I share it
with my friend and we are both satisfied that is a good thing.  Now my bread
is gone and I have nothing.  The next day while I am again hungry, it is my
friend's good fortune to have a rather large sub sandwich.  He does not
share it with me or even worse he wants some of my mustard to put on it.  He
is satisfied by eating only half the sandwich and saves the other half for
the next day.  Later that day the pizza angel delivers me an 18 inch pizza.
This is way too much for me, (not really I made that part up) so I eat some
of it and save some of it for later, or tomorrow.  I do not want to share
because I will be giving away what I have with no assurance that I will have
food to eat later or tomorrow and I have learned that others will not
necessarily share.

So what happens.  I realize that I am self reliant so I must horde as much
wealth as I can.  The cycle begins.

I would submit to you that GREED is part of what makes up the great old US
of A.

I believe sharing is a law of the universe that works like this.  As you
share it will be rewarded upon you in greater quantity.  It is a seed time
and harvest law.

Example: You plant 10 corn seed and more than likely you will harvest a
number of ears of corn that contain hundreds of corn seed.

Open Source has taught me about sharing.  I've often wondered how this model
works for those who do all the development.  I'm guessing it works out to be
some very powerful advertising and they get regular invitations to do
consulting at better than average fees.  I would guess the developers can
ask for and get $150 on up per hour, and get to work on some really cool
projects.

Oh by the way I don't think anyone will be able to outlaw Open Source
because if I own something I am free to give it away with restrictions.
Isn't this exactly what a will does?  Would that not make a will unlawful or
unenforceable?

Keith