Intrusion Detection

Lowell Hamilton plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 05 May 2001 12:37:34 -0700

<dislaimer>
This is just me rambling on about my opinions on the world written while
in my boxers eating a poptart. No flame/os wars
</disclaimer>

Ahh it would be a wonderful world if there was no such thing as a
"security flaw" or "software bug", all governments got along in perfect
harmony, competition between software companies was based on "who made
the better product" and not "who can make the most money" ... but this
is Earth .. filled with humans.

Sysadmins are the strongest set of people in the 'cyber crime war' ...
the people with the knowledge and the power who have to protect
themselves and their networks... most of the time. Admins secure their
boxes, their networks, enact strict policies... all of which are
undermined by a software bug that was exploited, or a malicious attacker
ping flooding/DDOS-ing through their internet connection. But the, say
an exploit is announced at 6pm after the only admin went home for the
weekend. When they check their email the next morning they see the
announcement, and see their website defaced.

NetAdmins protect their networks from attackers and keep everybody
running smooth, but in most cases are not there to protect the end
user.  Most of the time when you connect to the net, you don't want a
netadmin dictating what you can and cannot do, and if they do you go
elsewhere... That division is both good for users, and bad for
security.  While I can buy a T1 from a company and know that I can do
everyting I want to with it, I could also use that line to attack
others, spam, scan, etc and until there was a complaint from a victim,
the upstream network wouldn't know about it.... or I could use it for
legitimate reasons, and because my isp doesn't have strict policies, I
get portscanned, and exploited

The customers on those networks, though, are often just regular people
who are blisfully ignorant of what's really going on.  Joe blow that
heard about this linux craze and decided to buy Mandrake 6 at the corner
store because it was $5, installs it, and is rooted in 5 minutes.  I
acquired an ip range from a providor recently that had been someone
else's a month or two ago.  They still had their nameserver, with
several domains on it, pointing to an ip address on that ip block. When
I emailed the admin, the response was "well, I'll get to it eventually"
... a couple weeks later I had to let him know how, because his
nameserver was still shown on my ipblock, I could take over all his
domains and sell them back to him by the internic update the next
day.... only then did he take action because he didn't know anything bad
could happen.  The average person doesn't have the time to research
security and constantly monitor mailing lists for new exploits, and
update their firewall/ids/software every couple of days when something
new hits.... nor does the average user know every tiny detail of every
service they run.  I imagine if I were to scan just one /24 block on
@home's network, I could find at least 2 or 3 exploitable machines.
Worse yet, scan the www name for a couple thousand domains, and see how
many unpatched IIS 5 servers there are right now.

This is where the software companies come in.  Most software until
recently has come in an "Everything enabled" format.  Out of box a
linux/FBSD/NT server comes with services running that the average user
would never use.  I  install 2k server and out of box it has a long list
of ports open and services running...or install linux and it has
bind/mysql/apache/portmap/rpc.nfsd/inetd all running in the default
workstation installation.  That's like buying a home with an "unlock all
doors" button right under the doorbell, `doorbells` next to each window,
and windows where you have install your own locks... Until openbsd
started up, "Secure by default" hadn't been even considered because no
commerial operating system company could run technical support for a
product where the user had to install and setup their own services.  It
is too costly to develop intuitive and powerful all-in-one management
tools for their products... so they enable what they feel are the most
common for the average power-user.  Plus there are hundreds of bugs,
mis-implementations, and laziness in apps/os's... look at the WindowsXP
vs Cisco 5000 battle at Xerox.

Then there are the governments.  In the eyes of all the of the above...
"Who are they to tell me what I can and cannot do".  Government
regulation of software has lead to moving that software to a different
country... it'll make it's way to where it needs to go.  Look at the US
vs >40bit encryption... and how many different foreign-developed suits
are there now.  If a government were to want something `protected`, it
would require the joint effort of all governments in the world, and
pro-active prevention of violations.  Even one government not caring can
open up the whole mess to everybody... just take a look at your $2500
phone bill after calling some carribean nation when you try and claim
your huge prize on their online-gambling site.... then try and get
something done about it.

So ... when JLF asked if it was to the point where we need a
one-stop-shop for all security, I say no.  While this would make it
easier to get the updates, people have to know there is a need for an
update.  There needs to be some huge re-design of the software industry
.. required education/maintaince of users .. and the human condition ..
to make security happen... But that could never happen.  The first time
I have to take a apptitude test to purchase software, I won't buy it or
write my own.  Open source helps cure a portion of the software
industry, though ... because better are being made, which cost
nothing... but much of it's distribution relies on commercial companies
(RedHat, Storm, etc) .. and they are stuck with many of the same
problems closed source companies .. how to make our product better with
a wider userbase than the other guy... and I don't see people
distributing LFSMake floppies very much ;(

MS's critical update notification is a start in the right direction, but
many people immediately click notify me later constantly for months at a
time until it finally bugs enough that they go to the updates, see it's
going to take 45 minutes to download...or see that there are 10 pages of
text explaining all the different options they have, and cancel it all.
Unfortunately, forcing users to upgrade and maintain their software just
causes grumpy users ... aka grumpy consumers ... and that's bad.

Lowell