Weird....

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 3 May 2001 08:03:56 -0700

* Tyler Hall (plug@webfreaks.com) wrote:
> I installed MYSQL lately, and ran into the weirdest problem.   I'm wondering
> if anyone else has had this problem:
>
> It shows that it is running;
>
> [root@gizmo tyler]# mysqladmin ping -p
> Enter password:
> mysqld is alive
> [root@gizmo tyler]# mysqld
> 010503  7:37:04  Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address already in
> use
> 010503  7:37:04  Do you already have another mysqld server running on port:
> 3306 ?
> 010503  7:37:04  Aborting
>
> [root@gizmo tyler]# telnet localhost 3306
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.localdomain.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> NHost 'localhost.localdomain' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
> serverConnection closed by foreign host.
>
> I can even telnet to the port, but thats not the point.     I'm trying to
> get PHPSlash, or PHPMyAdmin to work with it, and it won't let me connect to
> it.  It says it's not active (not running).   Is there a place where I need
> to specifiy to let all web connections access it?  That sounds funny, but I
> have no other solution to this problem.  I can do a mysqladmin create
> database > something.so or whatever, and it will create it, but nothing on
> the web will be able to connect to the database.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tyler

Have you set your permissions in the mysql database for your users?
Is it available via socket or TCP? If it's default setup you should be
able to
	% mysql

and get a client, that is if you haven't set a root password, if you have:
	% mysql -u root --password=MYPASS

then you'll be at a mysql prompt, check the status and see some variables:

	mysql> \s
	-or-
	mysql> status

On my system this looks like:

---- terminal output ----

> mysql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 6 to server version: 3.22.27

Type 'help' for help.

mysql> status
--------------
mysql  Ver 9.36 Distrib 3.22.27, for pc-linux-gnu (i586)

Connection id:          6
Current database:
Current user:           gontran@localhost
Server version          3.22.27
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 17 days 18 hours 49 min 27 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 36  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 6  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 2

mysql>

---- terminal output ----

Hth,
Gontran