Opening urls in kmail

Kurt Granroth kurt@granroth.org
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:45:50 -0700

Rick Rosinski wrote:
> I get "pixie" instead of Konqueror when I click on a url that references an
> item in Ebay.  I am referring to an already read email with the item
> reference.  Yesturday, it worked fine, bringing up Konqueror, but now today
> it brings up "pixie".  This "pixie" came up before.  How do I make it to
> where Konqueror comes up no matter what, when I click on a url?

Okay, yes it *is* possible to always start up Konqueror instead of the
preferred image viewer when clicking on an image.

What you'll need to do is change the default viewer for image types.
To do so, open up the Control Center and click on File Browsing ->
File Associations.  You'll see a list of "mime types" (file types).
Click on, say, 'image' and 'jpeg'.  You'll see the list of
applications that handle JPEG images.  Pixie will be at the top of the
list since it is the preferred KDE image viewer.

Konqueror is *not* on the list since it can't handle images.
Konqueror is simply a component framework.. the only reason it
displays images at all is because it has a component that can handle
it.

Anyway, to force Konqueror to handle JPEGs, click on "Add".  In the
combobox at the top of the Add Dialog, type this:

  kfmclient openURL %u"

Then click OK.  Then "Move Up" that item to the top of the
"Application Preference Order".  From then on, all JPEG images will be
handled by Konqueror.  You'll need to do the same for all the other
image types.

HTH
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop