Cox - is 2 for 1 possible?

Alan Pratt alan@azdev.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:19:23 -0700

There are a number of workarounds for this. I'm on Cox and have five or six
boxes connected. My recommendation would be to set up the Linux box as a
firewall/masquerade box, used a non-routable IP address on the inside
(192.168.X.X) and point the Wintel box's gateway to it. I've set several
systems up this way and it works great. Although it's feasible to set it up
the other way around, I wouldn't recommend it... the Wintel box doesn't
share as well as Linux and doesn't add the firewall for free.

And yet another way to set up is to buy a personal hardware firewall...
about $150 at Frys... and use it's Network Address Translation (NAT) to
share out the connnection. This works great and doesn't eliminates the
requirement of always running the gateway box to allow the other box to
access the net.

- Alan

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Albee" <guesswho911@home.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Se of nt: Saturday, March 31, 2001 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: Cox - is 2 for 1 possible?

> Although I don't profress to know anything about windows connection
sharing...  If I remember right you may have to go into the network
properties and bind Internet Connection sharing to your Ethernet card that
goes to your @home router/modem.  The preferable thing to do would be to
setup your linux box as the gateway and have the windows system connect thru
it.  It shouldnt take more than reading 2 or 3 HOWTOs.  With the linux
system as the gateway, your windows box would be inherently more secure.

> John Albee
>
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:58:06 -0700
> "Paul Nauman" <pfnauman@home.com> wrote:
>
> > I was connected via dialup to AOL through my Win98 machine with Shared
Internet Connection turned on.  This allowed me to also access the internet
from my Red Hat 7.0 machine.  I am now connected to Cox@home through the
Win98 machine and would like to access the internet from both machines but I
can not get it to work on the Linux system.

> > Do I have to tell Cox that I am using 2 machines to get a second
"CX9999999-a" name, and pay an additional $5.00 per month?  :-(

> > There must be a way around this, right?  Some one please say yes. :-)
> >
> > I live close to GCC, will this situation be discussed at the West Side
Plug meeting there on Apr. 24th about connecting Linux to the internet?